Monthly Archives: September 2016
Since it is National Preparedness Month, we thought we’d talk about creating a “go-bag” for your family. This is a bag that is filled with potentially life-saving essentials. If something happens you’re ready to “go” but you can also “shelter in place” using the items to sustain you.
- Protein bars and water for 72 hours – enough for your entire family.
- A first aid kit including emergency first aid instructions.
- A flashlight, flares, matches and an emergency candle.
- Crank-operated radio for emergency communications.
- A backup battery for your cell phone & batteries for your flashlights.
- Water purifying tablets.
- Emergency ponchos and blankets.
- Extra prescription medicine that anyone in your family relies upon.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Be creative, think about your family’s unique needs and be sure to get everyone involved – after all, an emergency is truly a whole-family situation!
This is the time of year when most families are settling into the routine of school, enjoying the taste of fall that’s in the air and the calm that comes before the rush of the holiday season. It also happens to be National Preparedness Month, a time set aside by the government to encourage citizens to learn how to deal with a variety of emergencies. Throughout September Continue reading